Brittney Lynn Ingersoll: History Alumna Bridging Academia & Practice

Brittney Lynn Ingersoll, an alumna of the Master’s in History program with a focus on the Public History Track at Rutgers University-Camden, is a curator at the Cumberland County Historical Society (CCHS) in southern New Jersey. During her time at Rutgers-Camden, Brittney received invaluable support from faculty members, particularly Dr. Wendy Woloson and Dr. Andrew Shankman, who helped her develop her passion and expertise in American history. With their guidance, she honed her writing skills and published research in Commonplace: The Journal of Early American Life. She now gives back to the Rutgers-Camden community by giving history students, both graduate and undergraduate, a chance to take what they learn in the classroom and apply it through internships at CCHS.

Explore how Brittney’s rich academic and research background is unlocking new horizons for her future pursuits.

Classroom to Curatorship

I received my Master’s in American History and a Graduate Certificate in Public History from Rutgers University-Camden in May 2018. Shortly after graduating, I was promoted to Curator of the Cumberland County Historical Society. In the fall of 2022, I returned to school to earn my Master’s in Library Science with a concentration in Archives and Preservation at Rutgers University-New Brunswick, from where I graduated in May 2025.

Over the last several years, numerous Rutgers-Camden undergraduates and graduate students have interned and worked at CCHS…I aim for CCHS and myself to be resources for students and early-career individuals.

Brittney Lynn Ingersoll

Unearthing Hidden Histories

My significant research project as both an undergraduate and graduate student focused on nineteenth-century brothel guides. In 2021, I turned this research into an article titled “The Influences of the Underworld: Nineteenth-Century Brothel Guides, Calling Cards, and City Directories,” which was published in the online journal Commonplace: The Journal of Early American Life in March 2022. I initially struggled with my writing, but thanks to the help of professors and the tutoring department, I honed my writing skills, which helped me fulfill my dream of publishing. My biggest achievement was passing my oral exams with distinction.

Bridging Academia and Real-World Experience

As curator of the Cumberland County Historical Society, I ensure that the Rutgers-Camden History Department is notified whenever we have available employment and are recruiting interns. Over the last several years, numerous Rutgers-Camden undergraduates and graduate students have interned and worked at CCHS. Additionally, we have assisted Rutgers University-Camden students with research requests. Overall, I aim for CCHS and myself to be resources for students and early-career individuals, supporting their research projects and providing them with valuable experience to help them achieve their career goals.

Spotlights & Stories

Want more stories like this? Spotlights and Stories highlights alumni, faculty, staff, and student experiences through stories, video, and voice. Learn more

Explore Graduate School Programs

Rutgers Graduate School-Camden offers 20+ graduate certificates, master’s, and doctoral programs across various disciplines, including biology, data science, creative writing, and psychology. We take pride in our academic diversity. Learn more

Former Students, Get Involved

Stay connected with Rutgers-Camden! Engage with former students, attend events, and support current students. Your involvement strengthens our community and helps shape future success. Learn more

Never Miss a Story: