Oğuz Kaan Özalp: Bridging Political Theory & Community Impact

Oğuz Kaan Özalp, a PhD student from Turkey in the Public Affairs / Community Development program, has transformed his theoretical background in political science into hands-on community engagement. Drawn by the program’s practical approach, he now researches the impact of social organizations on immigrant policymaking. His memorable experiences with Rutgers-Camden’s supportive community and numerous collaboration opportunities have significantly shaped his career goals.

Discover how Oğuz’s academic and research experiences are paving the way for his future endeavors.

From Theoretical to Practical: My Academic Journey

I was more of a theoretical person. I have a master’s degree in political science, primarily analyzing issues through numbers to understand how these things happen and how we respond to them, which felt unrealistic. With Rutgers-Camden, it is more hands-on and real. It was a transition from having a conceptual understanding of political and community issues to actually seeing them. Although having examples and seeing them can have psychological and mental relevance, it makes it more real and urgent to underline those things.

The impact of Rutgers-Camden on my academic and professional growth has been significant… especially international students striving to fit in. This support has been crucial in advancing my research and career goals.

Oğuz Kaan Özalp

Choosing Rutgers-Camden: A Path to Community Engagement

I was always interested in politics back in [Turkey], but politics here is at a much higher level. I found this program appealing because it aligns with community engagement and provides a way to implement policies at the grassroots level. It offers a better understanding of the community and the best options and solutions to develop meaningful initiatives. This program gives you valuable insight into how to approach these issues effectively.

Shifting Research Focus: From Refugee Rights to U.S. Immigration

Before Rutgers, my research focused mostly on refugee rights and how international aid and organizations can create a platform for refugees and immigrants to address their needs. I also worked in an international organization and saw many problems within their programs and projects. Currently, the target population for my research is immigrants in the US. Now, I’m mostly working on social organizations and their impact on the policymaking process, integrating grassroots community understanding through social organizations and creating political advocacy for better policymaking. I am exploring different ways to create better policy processes for such communities, focusing on policies through social movements and political advocacy.

Unforgettable Moments and Unique Connections at Rutgers-Camden

Firstly, the interaction with people. I’ve seen a lot of universities, attended many colleges, and collected several diplomas. Rutgers-Camden has a unique connection and unique people. The people are really nice; there’s a uniqueness I never expected. When I first arrived, everyone was so helpful and nice, and when you reach out to people, you get responses.

Secondly, the opportunities within and outside Rutgers, being a big university. Opportunities through grants, projects, and programs, especially with local organizations and NGOs reaching out for partnerships and collaborations, provide a great depth to research and intervention programs. It is great to see how a university can interact with local organizations, giving a perspective beyond academics.

Leveraging Rutgers-Camden’s Support and Opportunities

The impact of Rutgers-Camden on my academic and professional growth has been significant. I have been accepted to conferences and received a grant from the Graduate School. There is a special kind of support that exists beyond just money. There is an open line of communication. With the support of the Graduate School House and people like Assistant Dean Erick Watt-Udogu, and my graduate program of Public Affairs/Community Development, specifically Dr. Stephen Danley and Dr. Nathaniel Wright, they are really connected to student experiences, especially international students striving to fit in. This support has been crucial in advancing my research and career goals.

Post-Graduation Goals: Bringing Change Back Home

My program lasts for five years: the first three years involve taking classes, and the remaining two years are for writing your dissertation. Right now, I’m completing my classes, but my intention is to finish earlier. A degree from a university like Rutgers has its benefits—reputation is one, and network is another. People see my profile associated with Rutgers-Camden, and it opens doors, which I intend to leverage.

I intend to go back to [Turkey], definitely. When I return with this degree, it gives an advantage because of the different perspective I will be able to implement. Also, I want to be a politician, so we’ll see how that goes.

Spotlights & Stories

Want more stories like this? Spotlights and Stories highlights alumni, faculty, staff, and student experiences through stories, video, and voice. Learn more

Explore Graduate School Programs

Rutgers Graduate School-Camden offers 20+ graduate certificates, master’s, and doctoral programs across various disciplines, including biology, data science, creative writing, and psychology. We take pride in our academic diversity. Learn more

Former Students, Get Involved

Stay connected with Rutgers-Camden! Engage with former students, attend events, and support current students. Your involvement strengthens our community and helps shape future success. Learn more

Never Miss a Story: